11 Sep Keto Lamington cake; sometimes you need a little bit of cake in your life
This week I was inspired to bake, not sure why as there are no birthdays to celebrate or reasons. I just felt like cake. I generally believe that balance is the key, weight loss is the exception when you do have to restrict certain foods such as refined process carbohydrates, increase water, protein and vegetable intake.
So here is my version adapted from Teresa Cutter’s amazing food blog found here
“Slightly” Keto Lamington Cake
300 g (10 1/2 oz / 3 cups) almond meal
75 g (1 cup / 21/2 oz) shredded coconut
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
80 ml (2 3/4 fl oz / 1/3 cup) coconut oil melted
80 ml (2 3/4 fl oz / 1/3 cup) sweetener of choice; Maple syrup, Natvia, Honey, Brown Rice Malt Syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
125 ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
+ / – 1/2 cup of frozen raspberries (if not in ketosis)
500 g (16 oz) cream cheese
60 g (2 oz / 1/2 cup) Raw cocoa power
60 ml (2 fl oz / 1/4 cup) sweetener of choice; Maple syrup, Natvia, Honey, Brown Rice Malt Syrup. If using powdered sweetener, coconut sugar or raw brown sugar remember to mill into a fine powder before to reduce lumps.
- PREHEAT your oven to 160°C
- COMBINE almond meal, coconut and baking powder in a large bowl.
- ADD melted coconut oil, sweetener of choice, eggs, vanilla and sea salt.
- MIX well then add almond milk. Stir through berries if using.
- SPOON lamington cupcake batter into 10 lined cupcake tin or 1 large baking tin.
- BAKE for 40 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- REMOVE from the oven and cool completely.
- COMBINE all the frosting ingredients until smooth using a whisk or stand mixer.
- APPLY generous amounts of frosting to each lamington cupcake.
- TOP with coconut flakes and store in the fridge until required.
- STORE cupcakes in the fridge (covered) for up to 4 days
Read more of Teresa’s Healthy take on everyday cooking on her blog here. Unfortunately above is not an actual picture of my cooking. Here is mine;
About the author
Lauren Surridge is the Acupuncturist, Chinese Herbalist and owner of Balanced Life Health Care. To find out more about Lauren click here and to make an appointment to see Lauren at her clinic in Ferntree Gully click here