Women’s Health Conditions the FACTS
Women and Men share many health concerns however Women also have an entire set of health concerns encompassing a broad range of conditions that are primarily Hormone related;
- Pelvic pain during the mensural cycle or period
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Polycystic ovarian syndrom
- Pregnancy and fertility issues
- Menopause related symptoms
However it is important to note that many other conditions occur at higher rates amount Women;
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Autoimmune diseases including rheumatoid arthritis
Also Heart / Cardiovascular disease although occurring higher in the male population occurs in 1 out of 3 women in the US and is the leading cause of death among women (1)!.
What is gynaecology?
Gynecology is the primary branch of medical science concerned with women’s health issues. The word “gynecology” is a word consisting of “gyneco,” meaning “woman,” and “logic,” meaning “knowledge.” Taken together, it is “woman knowledge” (1).
What is Chinese Medicine Gynaecology?
Chinese Medicine gynaecology is the specific branch of Chinese Medicine which aids in the assistance of mensural related complaints while treating a women as a whole. In contrast, to the Western practise of gynaecology, Chinese Medicine was developed in a time that has zero technological support. Diagnosis solely relied on the Acupuncturist’s inquiry, Pulse diagnosis, and observations of overall symptoms, and careful monitoring of patterns during treatments.
Even if a patient comes in for period pain, other signs and symptoms may not seem directly related to the period pain will be inquired;
- Nature of the pain ( dull or sharp pain, location, frequency, time, can the pain relieved by warmth or pressure)
- Bowel motion, urination, appetite, craving for particular food, cold or heat intolerance
- Presence or absence of thirst, tinnitis, dizziness, sweating or hot flushes
- General stress levels, and emotional tendencies
A full picture of menstruation, history of pregnancy and labour; Regularity of periods, presences of blood clots in the period, PMS, accompanying symptoms that occur near period times, eg lower back pain, mouth ulcers, diarrhea/constipation, skin breakouts. Numbers of pregnancies and/or miscarriages, and labour complications may be discussed.
Acupuncture for Women’s Health Conditions Ferntree Gully
Acupuncture has a long history of treating gynaecological and Women’s Health conditions throughout Asia. Chinese Medicine as a whole has accumulated a wealth of experience through long-term clinical practices, and has formed its own diagnosis and treatment methodology. In most cases a series of Acupuncture treatments will be combined with lifestyle recommendations and Chinese Herbal Medicines.
Acupuncture in treating Women’s health conditions the Research
Unfortunately the Acupuncture evidence base through research is limited, and is far below other medical interventions. Many would be aware that research is becoming more and more funded through commercial interests, however luckily there are some studies though university’s that are not subject to these limitations. Much of the Acupuncture research seems to focus on key areas of gynaecology such as IVF support and Menopause.
- A review (1) in 2016 of 122 conditions found evidence of effect of various levels of 117 conditions of which a significant number relate to women’s health (2)
- Reproductive function – A review (2) in 2010 on experimental studies showed acupuncture to have a substantial effect on reproductive function. The study states ‘Clinical and experimental evidence demonstrates that acupuncture is a suitable alternative or complement to pharmacological induction of ovulation, without adverse side effects.’ (3)
A full list of the current research related to Acupuncture and its use in Female gynaecology can be found through the link below;