What is Neck pain?
Neck pain is pain that occurs in the neck region, however some neck pain extends into the upper back or in the from coming up into the jaw. Neck pain is common amount office workers that sit at a computer all day or people who spend too much time looking at the phone.
What Causes Neck pain?
There are many causes of neck pain. Common causes of neck pain include:
- Poor posture (the way your body is positioned when standing or sitting)
- Sleeping in an awkward position
- Injury such as a muscle strain
- Prolonged use of a desktop or laptop computer
- Wear and tear in the bones of the neck, which is a normal part of ageing.
Rare causes of neck pain include damage to the vertebrae, spinal cord or nerves in the neck (1)
Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine treatment of Neck pain?
Acupuncture has a long history of being used in treatment of Sciatica and Lower Back pain. Acupuncture involves the insertion of fine stainless steel needles into particular sites within the body. Acupuncture aims to;
- Release a cascade of natural painkillers (endorphins and enkephalins)
- Increase blood flow to the painful area
- Relax the muscles in the surrounding area
To read more about how Acupuncture works treats pain. In a typical session to treat sciatic pain at Balanced Life Health Care our Acupuncturist places acupuncture needles along the inside of the lower calf/ankle and along the wrist/forearm area. We take a two-pronged approach. First, we target the muscles of the neck, upper back and jaw, then we target the vertebrae.
More information coming soon