02 Sep Chickpea Blondies
Chickpeas are such a fabulous food for the gut!
They are a great source of vegetarian protein and are high in fantastic fibre.
Fibre is something that many of us are severely lacking in our diets, and it so important for digestive health: it keeps us regular (pooping every day!) and it is food for our gut bugs. Just like we need food to survive, our gut bugs need food every day to flourish and crowd out any nasty invaders. Checkout more foods to nourish your gut here.
This is a tasty sweet treat utilizing the humble chickpea. It might seem like a weird thing to use in a sweet recipe, but it works so well. This afternoon snack will keep your sweet tooth satisfied while packing a nutritional punch.
- 1 can of chickpeas (organic if possible), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup nut butter (almond or cashew, or peanut if you want a peanut blondie)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth
- Spoon into a lined cake tin
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (you want it to still be chewy and gooey)
- Leave to cool and then slice into little portions
- Refrigerate for a firmer blondie, or eat warm if you’re not able to wait 😉
OPTIONAL: Before baking, stir through some chopped dark chocolate (70-90% cacao) bits for a choc-chip blondie!
About the Author
Emily Robertson is the naturopath and nutritionalist at Balanced Life Health Care. Emily has a bachelor of Naturopathy and has a passion for all things gut, skin and children’s health. To find out more about Emily click here or to make an appointment with Emily click here